Thanks to our latest volunteer for our ‘Teacher Feature’, Mr Boal who is a Food Technology here at St Benedict’s.
- Where did you grow up and go to school and college?
Oh blimey, that’s a question, I was born in Morecambe and moved to Lancaster where I went to nursery at the age of 5. I was moved to my parents’ native area in the North East. I went to primary school in a beautiful, small village called Hunwick and attended Parkside Secondary School (now an academy) in an interesting town called Willington. I left secondary school and went straight into studying Catering at Darlington College of Technology. My Teaching/Bachelor’s Degree was completed at Edge Hill University, Ormskirk, Lancashire.
- Why did you decide to teach what you teach?
I was teaching young chefs in kitchens all through my career as a chef and it was the time of Jamie Oliver changing school meals, I knew that if we wanted to change everyone’s eating habits, to truly make the nation healthy, then it had to start in school!
- Where and when was your first teaching job?
Southlands High School in Chorley, Lancashire. In 2010, I was a little late to teaching you could say.
- What is the best thing about teaching secondary school?
That’s easy: the pupils. They are the best people I have worked with in my 30 year stint. Every day is different because every child is different and the feeling you get when you see a pupil smile and the lights in their eyes when they grasp a concept, priceless!
- How do you think students will remember you and your class?
Hopefully fun and tasty!
- What is your favourite movie/book?
Movie – Star Wars (episodes 4-6)
Book – Lord of The Rings by JRR Tolkien
- What is your idea of fun?
Family holidays in our caravan at Ullswater.
- What is one of your hidden talents?
Car Mechanics and Electronics I love to fix things, normally after I’ve broken them first.
- What would the students be surprised to find out about you?
I am a big fan of metal and rock music. I even used to have long hair!
- If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
I already have one: I’m a teacher! Or the ability to read minds would be really handy in my job!
- List three words that describe you.
Kind, Funny, Creative – I asked the wife that one!
- Name three things you love about your job.
Cake, Working with the chaos or randomness, Being close to the Lake District
- Is there a quote or saying that you live your life by?
When you want to give up and your heart’s about to break
Remember that you’re perfect, God makes no mistakes – Jon Bon Jovi
Welcome to wherever you are
This is your life, you made it this far
Welcome, you got to believe
Right here, right now
You’re exactly where you’re supposed to be – Jon Bon Jovi