Careers Education is an integral part of our curriculum and tutor periods. St Benedict’s has the support of Inspira for independent careers advice and provides careers education and opportunities for all students.
The following information outlines the current provision of careers, information and guidance offered to our Year 9 students:
- Hello Future – one hour workshop twice with 60 students (30 students per workshop) aiming at raising aspirations and promoting the “Skills and Employability”
- Raising aspirations mentoring scheme with the University of Cumbria
- REACT Foundation Science Show
- STEM event for academically gifted in Science
- One to one tutor meetings prior to options to discuss future pathways
- “Buddy Scheme” with Year 13
- Careers and Guidance assemblies
- Option assemblies after Christmas
- University of Cumbria Higher Education talks.
- WOW Day (World of Work) – gives the students insight into a variety of jobs
- Options evening
- Bright Sparks STEM programme for the most able.
- Outreach day at the University of Cumbria in Carlisle
- Aspiring Higher evening for Year 9 presented by the University of Cumbria, Inspira, Sellafield, St. Benedict’s Sixth Form and the Energy Coast partners both year groups to highlight different pathways
- Year 9 Shadowing scheme in sixth form
- Options curriculum pathways assembly January
- Information Assembly UCAS, presented by Director of Learning from Sixth Form
- Inspirational women’s conference
- Curriculum careers links
We try to expose the students to a wide range of career/study pathways in as many ways as possible from school delivered sessions, external providers and external visits and nationally recognised programmes. By developing a cohesive programme of Careers Information, Advice & Guidance (CIAG) from primary onwards we can form young people with employability skills, academic qualifications and the confidence to make informed choices about their future.
Contact for CIAG in School:
Our Senior Leader with oversight of the careers programme is Mrs K Kelso Assistant Headteacher.
She can be contacted on 01946 692275 or by emailing email@example.com